02 Oct Assurance that accesses to health care will remain unchanged or enhanced, and at an affordable cost to all. If after protected period ends, and HCA or a successor owner decides to stop operating Blue Ridge Regional Hospital as an Acute Care Hospital, the hospital must be returned to the community at no cost.
HCA Healthcare has committed to keeping all hospitals open for a minimum of 10 years and also has agreed not to sell any hospital for a minimum of 10 years. HCA also has committed to maintaining clinical programs for at least 5 years. Today, no entity in the Mission Health system has any material protection relative to its program or service offerings, and the broad economic, health policy and insurer environment in which Mission Health operates has led to more than one rural hospital per month closing its doors.
It’s important to remember that 10 years in the healthcare industry is a comparatively long period of time. For example, none of the advancements below were available 10 years ago:
- 3-D printing of bionic limbs is helping those who have lost a limb, like a leg or hand
- Precision Medicine to treat patients based on their unique genetic make-up
- Targeted gene therapy to treat cancers
- Minimally Invasive Surgery as the norm
- HIV/AIDS as a chronic disease – patients now live an additional 50 years or more than just a few years ago